Lycoming 540 series engines
The Lycoming O-540 cubic inch series engines, which are available from Multiflight, are six cylinder, horizontally opposed, direct drive, air cooled engines. The cylinders of these engines are of a conventional air cooled construction and the heads are made from an aluminum alloy casting and have a combustion chamber that is fully machined. Cast integral with the head are rocker shaft bearing supports, together with housings to form the rocker boxes.
The cylinder barrels of the Lycoming O-540 series engines have deep integral cooling fins. The barrels’ insides are ground and honed to a specified finish. A fuel-injection system is a feature of the Lycoming IO-540 and the Lycoming TIO-540 (turbocharged) series engines. This system schedules the fuel flow in proportion to the air flow. Fuel vaporisation occurs at the intake ports. An integral part of the TIO-540 series is a mounted turbocharger. Providing constant air density to the inlet of the fuel injector from sea level to critical altitude is the automatic waste gate control of the turbocharger.
The Lycoming 5400 cubic inch series engines have:
- Forged steel connecting rods
- Optional chrome kit
- Nitrade hardened steel alloy cylinder barrels
- Forged steel crankshafts
- Chromium modified ni-resist iron exhaust valve guides, which result in better wear characteristics
- Forged Steel camshafts
Options available include:
- Lightweight starters
- Electronic ignition
- Spin-on or remote oil filter
- Air conditioning provisions
- Factory chrome kits: Triple-plated rocker-box covers, shroud tubes and intake pipes
- Optional magnetos
- Fixed pitch or constant speed propeller applications
For Lycoming 540 series engines UK and Lycoming 540 cubic inch series engines UK, contact Multiflight at Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK.